Friday 8 November 2013

1980s bedroom (part 6) Adding triggers

Although it seems at times like a never-ending saga, the 1980s bedroom is slowly nearing its conclusion.

Today I've been adding the first of my nostalgia triggers.  I've gone for a variant on one of the handheld games consoles seen on my Play Expo trip -- the Galaxy Invader 10000, released in 1982.

The model is 170 triangles with a single 512x512 UV, featuring diffuse, bump & specular maps.
Edit: I don't usually go back and add content to posts but in this case I thought it worth doing.  I've been cogitating ... and I think I've missed a prime opportunity to evaluate audio & mechanical triggers in this context.  This type of hand-held game had distinctive sounds and animated graphics, and these add significantly to both the affect and the charm of the object.

Therefore I'm going to re-visit the Galaxy Invader model at some point, adding a movie texture showing the game playing a demo cycle, accompanied by appropriate sound effects.  I've done sound in the Unity game engine before, and it's very good at doing location-based audio which you hear as you get closer to an object.  I haven't, though, done movie textures so this will give me an opportunity to advance my technical competency in this area.

You can see it here, taking the place of lava lamp in the original Gizmo game:


Next up is a Sony Trinitron showing the home page for Oracle, ITV's original teletext service (replaced in a franchise bidding war in 1993 by the imaginatively-named Teletext service).  The TV itself is not intended to be a primary trigger but I'm hoping that Oracle will be, given its relative rarity compared with the BBC's recently retired Ceefax.

The TV is 88 tris with a single 512x512 UV, with diffuse, bump & specular maps.
The record collection is a single mesh of 48 tris with diffuse & bump map only.  

I've also added some vinyl LPs into the shelving.  (If you can identify any of the album covers then you get a prize!)  I've deliberately gone for period items that were popular in their day but would no longer receive airplay today, in order to maximise affect.  I've done a bit of copyright research and I believe I can get away with these under quasi-Fair Dealing exceptions to the 1988 Act, classed as incidental content.